Scottish Government seeks Parliamentary Officer in Brussels
The Scottish Government is committed to working with European partners and the EU institutions to deliver on the strategic objectives of Scotland’s Economic Strategy: securing investment, supporting innovation and promoting inclusive growth.
The Scottish Government EU Office is now looking for a
based in Brussels. The Parliamentary Officer will be responsible for following the work of the European Parliament, particularly in relation the Scottish Government’s EU priorities, building and maintaining positive links with MEPs and Parliamentary stakeholders, as well as supporting official and Ministerial visits to the European Parliament.
- Following the work of the European Parliament, particularly in relation to the Scottish Government’s EU priorities;
- Attending European Parliamentary meetings and providing reports for Scottish Ministers and officials;
- Building and maintaining positive links with MEPs and Parliamentary stakeholders;
- Supporting official and Ministerial visits to the European Parliament, including meetings with MEPs and Parliamentary staff;
- Working closely with UKRep’s Parliamentary section;
- Supporting the Scottish Governments EU Office’s work in raising Scotland’s profile in Europe.
Required Experience & Skills
- University degree in any subject;
- Knowledge of the EU, particularly the European Parliament and of Scotland, mainly current affairs in order to be more responsive, innovative and seek out opportunities to create effective change;
- Ability to communicate with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm;
- Confident in communicating with people at all levels;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Good drafting and report writing skills;
- Ability to work and deliver results under pressure;
- Fluent written & spoken English;
- Capacity to create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Ability to work with others in a team;
- Effective planning, organisation and management of time and activities to deliver a high quality and efficient services;
- Focus on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes;
- Strong IT skills, including proficiency in MS Office software;
- Willingness to travel;
- Demonstrated ability in the following competences:
- Changing and Improving;
- Collaborating and Partnering;
- Leading and Communicating;
- Delivering at Pace;
- Managing a Quality Service.
- Operational level written and spoken French (other European languages are an advantage);
- A solid understanding of Scottish affairs, Scottish culture and the Scottish Government’s EU priorities.
Terms and Conditions
- This is a full-time fixed term four-year contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
- The successful candidate will be subject to a professional background check, as well as security clearance and is expected to commence employment by 28th September 2015.
- The monthly salary for this position is € 2286.10 gross, A2 (L) level. The UK Missions in Belgium salaries are not subject to annual indexation.
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Belgium. The British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium do not sponsor work permits. All applicants should submit their CV (in English, up to 3 pages), Covering Letter (in English, no more than 1 page of A4, Arial11) setting out their motivation for the role and how they meet the above criteria.
Applications should be sent to jobapplications.BEL@fco.gov.uk and the email subject line must be formatted as follows: BEL370.
The closing date for applications is the 6th September 2015.
Interviews will be held on Thursday 17th September and Friday 18th September 2015 in Brussels.
Kindly note that your application will only be considered if:
- Your application has been sent within the time frame requested;
- Your application documents are fully in English;
- Your applications documents are in .pdf format.
Please note that, because of the volume of applications we receive, we will only contact candidates selected for interview. If you do not hear from us you should assume that your application has not been successful.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.