Science Europe seeks Senior Policy Officer
We offer an exciting position with lots of opportunities to further develop and learn alongside accomplished experts.
If you are a policy expert with extensive experience in science policy, we would like to meet you! Your expertise and skills help us further strengthen the leading role of Science Europe in science policy and the services we provide to our members.
We are an association of major public European Research Funding Organisations (RFO) and Research Performing Organisations (RPO) from 27 countries. We promote the collective interests of our Member Organisations, through advocacy and we support them in their efforts to foster European research by offering a platform for collaboration. We contribute to the development of robust research policies in Europe and to the European Research Area through engagement with key partners.
Science Europe aisbl is based in Brussels (Belgium). Our offices are ideally located in the so-called EU area and easily accessible by public transport.
You will be part of a team that is the leading force in supporting collaboration among our Members, for developing advocacy strategies on key issues for scientific research in Europe, and for advising the Science Europe governance on policy developments. To do so, you and your colleagues work closely with experts from our Member Organisations and with relevant external partners.
What does it take to succeed in this role? We are looking for a candidate who:
- is educated to at least master’s level or higher and has minimum eight years of relevant work experience, in the area of research policy or research administration;
- is fluent in English (native or near-native level) and has advanced writing and editing skills in the language;
- has previous experience working in and/or a solid understanding of
- Science Europe policy areas of activities (see our website)
- an international membership organisation or association;
- EU public, legislative and regulatory affairs, including experience in advocacy and dealing with the European institutions;
- has in-depth knowledge of the policy-making processes at the European level;
- has experience working in and/or a solid understanding of mechanisms of publicly-funded scientific research systems in Europe, at national and EU-level;
- You have strong analytical thinking and policy awareness with the ability to interpret and explain policy developments to various audiences;
- You are service-oriented and demonstrate concern for meeting the needs of Member Organisations;
- You have proven capacity to deal with stakeholders and broker common positions;
- You have strong inter-personal, external networking, negotiation and persuasion skills;
- You have strong organisational skills, and the ability to manage time and to work to deadlines;
- You are team-oriented and able to work collaboratively with colleagues for a common goal;
- You have a pro-active, flexible and ‘hands on’ approach to work.
As a Senior Policy Officer, you will oversee a portfolio of policy files relevant for the Member Organisations of Science Europe. Within that portfolio, that evolves over time, you will:
- manage and co-ordinate collaboration and advocacy activities on priority research policy areas, in close co-operation with the Member Organisations (at expert and decision making levels), with colleagues in the Science Europe Office and with external contacts ;
- be responsible for monitoring, providing sound analysis and timely advice to management and governance on European and global developments in a broader range of research policy areas;
- organise, or contribute to organising, events, publications and other activities related to Science Europe’s work plan; and,
- liaise with European Institutions, stakeholder organisations and the wider international community to represent Science Europe and advocate for its messages.
WHAT WE OFFER?
We offer a three years fixed term contract as well as a competitive salary, in the range of €4022 to €4597 gross monthly salary. The salary offered within this range will be dependent on level of experience. We also offer possibility for homeworking, benefits such as chèques repas (meal vouchers), 13th month (additional salary payment in December), hospital and group insurance and extra vacation days.
The position can also potentially be filled on a secondment basis (for example, a secondment from a Science Europe Member Organisation). If you are currently employed by a Member of Science Europe, we encourage you to enquire about the possibility of a secondment with your employer.
HOW CAN YOU APPLY?
You can apply by sending your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com. Your cover letter (maximum two pages) should outline your suitability and motivation for the post. It should explicitly reference how your profile matches the different job requirements described above. Please also include with your application the names and contact details of two people (ideally a current or former line manager or supervisor) who could provide a reference in case you are short-listed for interview.
The position is open until filled. Applications will be accepted until a qualified candidate is selected, at which time the recruitment will be closed.
PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
Don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu during your application!