Senior Associate (m/w/d) Transport Programme
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 280 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
Senior Associate (m/w/d) Transport Programme
Context of the role
The ECF is recruiting a full-time Senior Associate to work on the Transport Programme in support of curbs to Europe’s growing emissions from transport.
The ECF’s strategy supports the transition to zero emission mobility, especially cars, vans and trucks via relevant policy measures. In the coming years, we will seek to strengthen demand-side policy drivers at city and national level through fiscal reform and greening company cars. We will also seek to support the deployment of EV charging infrastructure at a suitable level to accommodate the vehicle fleet and enable a shift to a fully decarbonized mobility as soon as 2050. The Transport Programme will seek to support reforms of taxation for heavy commercial vehicles and wherever possible public measures to decarbonise trucks for urban freight and long-haul journeys.
The work will be split roughly equally along the following lines:
- Scoping the political landscape around upcoming EU transport policy and contributing to the development of a politically-savvy grant-making strategy.
- Day-to-day management of the many grants made by the ECF Transport Programme to NGOs and research organizations – including tracking deliverables, quality control, performance evaluation and payments.
- Outreach around ECF Transport Programme initiatives, including communication work and helping to organise launches, briefings and the publication of reports.
- Administration associated with the ECF’s Transport Programme, such as organizing internal and external meetings, providing updates for the website, writing reports and coordinating with grantees.
The post holder will play a key role in providing strategic advice, dealing with grant management and monitoring and evaluating the progress of different work streams. There will be direct engagement with other ECF programmes, partners and funders in designing and aligning strategies. The Senior Associate will be responsible for:
- Strategy development: supporting setting up the strategy for the transport programme, priorities and budgets; co-developing and implementing strategies with our network of grantees and partners; monitoring and evaluating progress and impact of initiatives and grants; and acting as a liaison to report regular progress to donors.
- Grant-making: developing the scope of work for different ECF projects including budgeting; soliciting and validating proposals from potential partners in the programme; drafting recommendations for the consideration of the ECF board and our donors.
- Research activities & prospecting: supporting the director in scoping the landscape around local, national and European climate politics and advocacy, as well as identifying potential new projects & grantees.
- Project management: Managing projects aiming at creating consensus on knowledge and visions with key civil society and partners working on decarbonisation and the social and technological transition of the automotive sector.
- Internal coordination and communication: liaising with ECF’s other programmes especially those in Germany, France, Poland and the UK, as well as other ECF country programmes and the organisation’s operations and communications teams to ensure proper and timely dissemination of information. Consistency with the actions of ECF key transport grantees and complementarity of different projects and work streams are needed.
- Organising outreach activities around ECF Transport Programme initiatives, including communication work and helping to organise launches, briefings and the publication of reports.
- Networking: building partnerships with key individuals across the policymaking, business and civil society communities or movements in Brussels and key Member States; convening meetings.
We are looking for a candidate with more than 5 years of experience in either a public authority, a civil society organization or industry company.
- University degree or similar qualification;
- Professional experience of minimum 5 years in the area of policy making or advocacy;
- Very good knowledge of transport and environmental policies;
- Good knowledge of the EU institutions and the political decision-making process;
- Excellent English. Knowledge of French or another European Language would be an advantage;
- Structured, driven and able to manage many processes simultaneously;
- Enthusiastic personality, an independent self-starter able to work on his/her own as well as part of a team;
- You possess strong diplomatic and networking skills, with the ability to follow through with smart and adaptive implementation of plans;
- Excellent collaboration and influencing skills;
- Ability to travel regularly to various destinations in Europe.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A permanent full-time position with a competitive salary.
Brussels. Second choice Berlin.
As soon as possible.
How to apply
Please upload here:
- short cover letter expressing your motivation for this role
- both in English!
Only applications following the HOW TO APPLY instructions will be considered for the role!
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!