Smoke Free Partnership seeks Policy Officer
The Smoke Free Partnership (SFP) is a coalition of public health and tobacco control organisations from across Europe. We aim to promote tobacco control advocacy and policy research at EU and national levels in collaboration with other EU health organisations and EU tobacco control networks.
Summary of this function, roles and responsibilities
The Policy Officer supports the implementation of the SFP multi-annual strategy and annual work plans. S/he will work closely with the SFP Director within a small team and will have policy campaign responsibilities. S/he will have a responsibility to execute SFP’s communications strategy and will represent SFP and its positions externally.
Policy and Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) implementation
- Develop and execute policy campaigns
- Draft policy briefings and analysis and other policy tools, responses to public consultations for own policy campaigns
- Monitor and report on political, policy and scientific developments on own files
- Support the organisations of relevant policy events
- Liaise with SFP Coalition members, EU policy-makers, experts, and stakeholders on policy campaigns
- Develop and maintain relevant contacts for own policy files including academia, civil society and government bodies on both national, European and global level
- Draft web and media content including press releases and statements on own campaigns and events;
- Support the implementation of communications plans on own campaigns
- Draft reports and briefings on campaigns events and policy files
- Develop presentations on SFP campaigns
- Draft content for SFP reports
- Support the general administration of SFP
- Represent SFP as requested by the SFP Director
- Carry out other tasks as requested by the Director
University degree in a relevant field (politics, international relations, public health economics or law)
We are looking for a motivated, diplomatic, tenacious and mission-driven person who is committed to protecting European citizens and improving tobacco control. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate:
- 2-3 years of relevant work experience, preferably in EU policy making processes, political environment and advocacy. Experience in health/social policy is a bonus
- Knowledge of and experience navigating EU institutions and processes
- Ability to prioritise and organise own work in cooperation with the Director and team
- Ability to synthesise and analyse policy issues
- Fluency in spoken and written English essential, a particular attention will be paid on the candidate’s writing experience in English. Another EU language is desirable
- Fluency in MS Office applications, presentation development and delivery
- Communicator, networker
- Ability to work within a small, tight team
- Positive, can do attitude, problem solving skills
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Commitment to core values of public health and SFP’s vision
- Multitasker, quick thinker, spontaneous
Successful candidates will be required to sign a conflict of interest form declaring no affiliation with the tobacco industry.
- Please send a maximum two-page letter outlining your motivation and relevant experience. Please include a short description of one aspect of tobacco control that would be of most interest to you.
- Your maximum 2-page CV (PDF format) should include links or references to some of your prior work.
- Please send the two documents by email to email@example.com with the subject: “Policy Officer application”.
- Closing date for applications is 25 July 2018 COB.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. Interviews will take place mid-August.
- Desired starting date is September 2018.
SFP is an equal opportunities employer with a strong commitment to transparency and inclusion. People from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply and we strive for a diverse and inclusive working environment.