Tesla seeks Government Affairs and Relations Manager (Advanced Vehicle Technology)
Government Affairs and Relations Manager
Advanced Vehicle Technology
Tesla, headquartered in Palo Alto, CA, develops high-performance electric vehicles, stationary energy storage systems, and solar energy technology. The mission of Tesla is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy. The focus is to reduce the environmental impact of transportation and electric energy use by accelerating the adoption of electric vehicle, energy storage, and solar technologies. Tesla is also a leading actor in the development of automated and eventually driverless vehicles. Tesla’s aim is to deploy these technologies in a harmonized and widespread manner to its different markets, ensuring our customers have access to the safest vehicles on the market – which will continue to become safer as the car becomes more autonomous. The fast-growing EU team is adding somebody to focus on European policies for Safe and Autonomous Vehicles, but who is open to also tackle member state markets subsequently.
You will be part of our European cross-functional policy and business development team. This team is, among other activities, responsible for developing, promoting, and implementing regulatory policy to allow Tesla and the EV industry as a whole to accelerate its deployment of sustainable and autonomous mobility and storage solutions across the European Union (EU).
This role will focus on the rapidly developing policy and regulatory landscape on autonomous and connected vehicles both at EU and UN ECE (United Nations Economic Commission for Europe) level, ensuring that they promote safety and security in general and Tesla’s solutions in particular. Responsibilities may include other advanced vehicle technology policy, including cybersecurity, privacy, data connectivity, etc.
Besides a rock-solid work ethic and a strong team-oriented personality, all members of our team display creativity, passion, and a desire to break new ground in a constantly shifting technology, business, and regulatory landscape. A successful candidate will effectively help to facilitate advanced autonomous vehicle technologies roll-out in Europe as a result of measurably and positively shaping regulation and policies. As a team, we aim to build a better world by seeking and deploying better and new ideas.
With best-in-class familiarity with Brussels, Geneva and national public sector and policymaker objectives, their thinking, and appropriate types of interaction in the European Commission, the European Parliament, at UNECE and member state level:
- Externally, manage policy engagement processes, at many levels, and communicate Tesla Motors’ position toward EU, UN and Member State regulators, type approval authorities stakeholder platforms and working groups
- Internally, coordinate with team members on member state level activities as well as maintain a close relationship with responsible colleagues in the United States
- Retain and further develop a strong network in Brussels, across Europe, and other needed locations to ensure that Tesla is called upon for consultation and comment to promote Tesla’s priorities
Based on in-depth knowledge of hardware and software solutions for autonomous and connected vehicles effectively address:
- Enabling Tesla Motors’ continued growth
- Ensuring key existing and helpful policies are maintained or strengthened
- Ensuring that potential obstacles or issues of discrimination are resolved or softened
- Providing key regulatory and policy making insights for the broader business team
- Supporting business team in developing new sales opportunities throughout the region
- Developing any necessary evidence base
- Establishing a political communication strategy
- Ensuring close coordination with US and EU HQs via a regular review process
Specific tactical expectations
- Ensure excellent connections between Tesla, EU and UN-ECE institutions and national authorities, and representation at meetings and events
- Develop strong relationship with NGOs and regulators
- Forge relevant, ad-hoc, and structural partnerships with business and civil society
- Arrange appropriate EU & local speaking opportunities and media exposure for Tesla
- Support Tesla Communications and media relations
- BA/BS, with Masters preferred
- Fluent in English, and excellent communicator in one other major EU language
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience
- Familiarity with MS suite
- Affinity and personal interest in the automotive, technology and communication technologies domains
- Knowledge of electric vehicles, renewable energy and emissions issues a plus
- Preferably based in Brussels
- Deep understanding of safe and autonomous vehicle technologies and how these interact with policy development and regulatory processes ongoing at the European, UN and member state levels. Familiarity with vehicle type approval processes is considered important.
- Demonstrated performance in a corporate development and/or government relations role, or in a related field
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Proven interactions with policymakers and regulators, including ability to define, strategize, communicate, and deliver against business objectives
- Ability to effectively execute many tasks in parallel, with various teams, within in a fast-moving and team-oriented environment
- Strong technical background or record in high-tech or manufacturing a strong plus