The British Council Brussels seeks intern (m/f)
The British Council Brussels EU team:
- represents the British Council in the centre of the European political and cultural debate. It advocates the Council’s values and strategy to a highly influential European and international audience of policy makers, thereby building support, gaining trust and gathering vital information about opportunities for partnerships and funding for our work worldwide.
- develops relationships and partnerships with Brussels-based major international organisations, seeking to demonstrate the value of cultural relations and generating significant income and impact for the British Council in core strategic business areas.
- links Regional Directors and their planning staff and Strategic Business Unit leads in Headquarters to EU funding sources, and provides the EU policy context for strategic planning in all sectors.
The British Council Brussels is looking for a new
to work with the EU team to contribute to the work of the British Council Brussels EU Team in generating income and creating impact for the British Council in Europe.
Context and environment:
- Brussels is home to the main institutions of the European Union.
- These institutions formulate policies, laws, and recommendations which are relevant to the work of the British Council in all regions of the world, and the EU funds a global portfolio of programmes in our core areas including Culture, Education, Governance and Civil Society.
Purpose of job:
- To contribute to the work of the British Council Brussels EU Team in generating income and creating impact for the British Council in the MENA region.
- Working as part of the Business Development Team for MENA, the MENA intern will monitor policy initiatives and developments at EU level, assist with pursuit of EU funding opportunities, raise awareness of the British Council’s work in Culture, Education, Governance and Civil Society, and assist in the delivery of advocacy meetings and events.
Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties:
- Accountable to Business Development Manager, Francophone MENA (Brussels-based)
- Accountable to EU Affairs Manager, MENA (Brussels-based)
Responsibilities and Main Duties
- To contribute to the EU team’s efforts to provide insights into European Affairs of relevance to colleagues in the MENA region;
- To support the pursuit of EU funding opportunities including monitoring EU policy and programmes, summarising and translating (French-English), assisting with internal procedures, coordinating with country teams;
- To support with advocacy and intelligence work, and to assist with the organisation and delivery of meetings and advocacy events;
- Duties will include: research, preparation of documents, translation, logistical support for meetings and events, internal/external communications, and other ad hoc support tasks.
Other important features or requirements of the job
- The successful applicant will have a good knowledge of the work and structure of the European Institutions (in particular DG DEVCO and/or DG NEAR)
- and will show flexibility and an ability to cover a wide range of tasks.
- Must have the right to work in Belgium.
For specifications concerning the required behaviours, skills and knowledge, experience and qualifications see: http://www.britishcouncil.be/sites/default/files/intern_role_profile_september_2015.pdf
Salary: approx. € 750/month
Closing date: Monday 28 September 2015
Duration: 6 months
How to apply:
- Applications should be made by sending a CV and letter of motivation to email@example.com stating ‚Internship application October 2015‘ in the subject line.
- Interviews are planned to take place week commencing 5 October. Please note that due to the high number of applications anticipated, only those who are shortlisted will be contacted.
- Interested applicants should read the role profile and British Council behaviours information carefully: http://www.britishcouncil.be/sites/default/files/intern_role_profile_september_2015.pdf