Embassy of Maldives to Belgium & Mission to the EU seeks European and Commercial Affairs Consultant (m/f)
The Embassy of Maldives to Belgium & Mission to the EU is offering a unique opportunity for a young professional to pursue his/her career in European, international and commercial affairs.
The Embassy of Maldives to Belgium & Mission to the EU seeks a
European and Commercial Affairs Consultant (m/f)
The Embassy of Maldives to Belgium & Mission to the EU, established in 2007, leads the Government of Maldives’ efforts to protect and promote the Maldives’ interests in Europe. The Embassy/Mission plays a key role in:
- ensuring that Ministers and officials in the Maldives are kept informed of developments in the EU;
- maintaining positive relations with the EU member states and sharing an accurate representation of the Maldives with key government contacts;
- increasing knowledge and understanding of the Maldives among the political and diplomatic community in Brussels;
- promoting tourism, commerce and attracting investment in the Maldives
Reporting to the Head of Mission, and working with colleagues in the Embassy/Mission and Foreign Ministry, the European and Commercial Affairs Consultant will become a key component in the functioning of a small and dynamic diplomatic mission for one of the world’s newest democracies.
In addition to undertaking a number of daily duties, the European and Commercial Affairs Consultant will assist in ensuring that the Government remain fully briefed on developments in the EU, in particular, matters relating to the European Parliament and the European Commission, assist in developing and maintain relationships with stakeholders in the EU, assist in disseminating government information to EU stakeholders and the public, and assist in the organisation of events.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working with Embassy/Mission and Foreign Ministry colleagues to generate and progress policy objectives with EU stakeholders.
- Assist with the Embassy/Mission’s efforts to increase the awareness and understanding of the Maldives amongst EU Parliamentarians, European Commission officials and diplomatic community
- Conduct research and produce briefing papers on a range of political and commercial developments and policy areas including climate change.
- Conduct research and produce briefing papers on opportunities for Maldives in other European countries.
- Principal drafter of briefings, statements and press releases for the Embassy/Mission, occasionally the Foreign Ministry.
- Participate and prepare contact reports for Embassy/Mission meetings.
- Monitoring political developments in the EU, and produce a regular briefing report on such developments, with special reference to issues of relevance to the Maldives and South Asia.
- Preparing a regular news briefing on current affairs in the Maldives for distribution to EU contacts.
- Assist with the Embassy/Mission’s efforts to promote tourism and attract inward investment.
- Liaise with and write to and for the media.
- Help develop and lead the Embassy/Mission’s web and social media presence.
- Provide general assistance, as necessary, to colleagues on the Consular, Protocol, Finance and Administrative tasks.
The successful candidate will possess:
- An excellent academic record (minimum 2.1 undergraduate degree) in politics, international relations, social science, or a related field.
- At least 3 years of work experience in a related field
- A solid understanding of European Union and EU affairs.
- A keen interest in international affairs, and the eagerness to learn about South Asian Affairs and Maldivian politics, economy and society.
- Strong political and economical instincts and the ability to think strategically.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal in English and French. Other European languages will be an asset.
- The ability to digest and disseminate information across a range of policy areas.
- Strong organizational skills, including the capacity to work to deadlines and manage a varied workload.
- The ability to manage projects independently.
- Ability to work well as part of a small team.
- A high standard of professionalism and a strong commitment to political neutrality.
- Flexibility, creativity and the willingness to lend a hand in any area of the Embassy’s work as required.
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- The right to work in Belgium.
Embassy of Maldives to Belgium & Mission to the European Union, Brussels, Belgium
Any prospective European & Commercial Affairs Consultant will undertake a three- month probationary period, during which he/she will be paid at the level of the Belgium National Minimum Wage.
Following the successful completion of this period, a 12-month contract with a competitive starting salary will be offered – with the possibility of extension on annual basis.
Applicants should email the following documents to email@example.com with the subject ‘application to the post of European & Commercial affairs consultant’ by 5.00 pm on 17 June 2016:
- A CV with a full education and employment history
- A one page covering letter, detailing your motivation for applying and suitability for the role.