U.S. Mission to the European Union seeks Information Specialist – Social Media
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The job holder works on the overall development, coordination, and direction of the U.S. Mission to the EU’s (USEU) digital communication strategy and the management of its social media platforms, including the official website. Works with the Public Affairs and Policy teams to develop long-term strategies on digital communication that support USEU and Department of State policy priorities. Coordinates the execution of these strategies to create compelling content that connects with USEU’s audiences. Assists with the design of digital content, campaigns, and events tailored to USEU’s audiences.
The job holder responsible for developing and maintaining key relationships with social media professionals from throughout the EU institutions and other relevant offices, as well as relevant independent bloggers, to facilitate enhanced coordination on shared digital engagement initiatives. Provides guidance/training on best practices regarding the Department of State’s digital communication strategy to other USEU sections and the Ambassador, as needed.
Is fully conversant with the broad scope of U.S. policy, U.S.-EU relations, and USEU’s activities. Acts as photographer or videographer as needed, and assists with other public affairs functions and logistics when required.
- Education: Master’s degree in the humanities, political science, international relations, journalism, or computer science.
- Experience: Minimum three years working in the field of corporate or government digital communication strategy and management or as a journalist, with EU-related institutions, think tanks, or in a public affairs office dedicated to EU or U.S. issues.
- Language Skills: fluency (level IV) in English.
- Skills and Abilities: Strong judgment and professional experience in generating communication strategies adapted to the digital age and compliant with the Department of State’s overarching digital engagement strategy. Strong organizational skills, ability to work independently, to set priorities, and to produce a large volume of work accurately and occasionally under pressure. Tact and professional ability to develop access to and maintain good relations with a wide range of EU-related institutional contacts, and the media. Must stay abreast of breaking news and issues affecting the U.S.-EU relationship in a complex global environment. Ability to make sound recommendations to management that result in effectively promoting U.S. policies to those with opposing points of view.
- Job Knowledge: A sound knowledge and understanding of digital communication strategy and strong experience in generating digital communication engagements. A good understanding of new technology in the digital communication area, the ability to oversee USEU’s digital engagement strategy, supervise projects, and train Embassy colleagues and officers in social media and digital communication tradecraft. A sound knowledge of major issues of U.S.-EU relations and of the media landscape in Brussels. Experience in overseeing video projects and knowledge of using PC and Macintosh operating system and design/editing software.
Please note that applications can only be accepted if submitted through this link http://belgium.usembassy.gov/jobs.html