UK Permanent and Military Representatives to NATO seek Joint Diary Secretary
UK Permanent and Military Representatives to NATO seek
Joint Diary Secretary
FCO – Foreign and Commonwealth Office
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Other British Government Departments (Partners across Government, including UK Visas)
MOD (Ministry of Defence)
The United Kingdom’s Joint Delegation to NATO is the vital link between the UK Government and the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation. Its principal roles are to promote British interests in NATO and to keep UK Ministers and Government Departments informed about NATO discussions and is now looking for a Joint Diary Secretary to UK Permanent and Military Representatives to NATO within the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
The successful applicant will work alongside military personnel as part of the MILREP’s Outer Office and civil servants as part of the PERMREP’s Private Office, giving them exposure to a wide range of working practises and environments. They will provide diary, secretarial and general office support to ensure the smooth running of both offices.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Managing the diaries of both MILREP and PERMREP, including organising meetings and social engagements;
- Assisting with preparation and management of incoming and outgoing correspondence and briefing packs;
- Assisting with escorting senior military and diplomatic visitors;
- Booking travel for PERMREP;
- Providing telephone and message support to the Private and Outer Office staff;
- Organising meetings including booking and setting up of rooms;
- Providing general office and administrative support as required as part of the Private and Outer Office teams, including information management and record keeping.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Fluent written and spoken English;
- General interest in the work of NATO and UK foreign and defence policy;
- Proven PA/secretarial skills, preferably at a senior level;
- Good communication skills (written and oral);
- Good IT skills;
- Relish the opportunity to work as part of a joint MoD-FCO team;
- Demonstrated ability for an open and flexible approach, drawing on the skills and experience of others to improve results;
- Availability to work late on an ad-hoc basis in support of meetings of Chiefs of Defence Staff and Foreign and Defence Ministers and the NATO Summit.
Desirable qualifications and experience
Experience of working with or for the military and an understanding of military rank structure.
Seeing the Big Picture, Changing and Improving, Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace, Engaging Internationally.
Application deadline: 3 July 2016
Grade: A2 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term, Full-time
Region: Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Type of Post: International Organisation Delegation
Start Date: 1 September 2016
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a full-time, four year fixed-term contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
The monthly salary for this position is €2,286.10, A2 (L) level (The British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium salaries are not subject to annual indexation).
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
Please note that you should allow yourself sufficient time to fill in all necessary fields in order to be possible to submit your applications before the deadline.
Only applications submitted by 3rd July 2016 at 23:55 will be considered.
For more details and to apply for this job click here: fco.tal.net