UK Representation to the EU seeks Personal Assistant to Deputy Permanent Representative
The British Diplomatic Mission in Belgium is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Personal Assistant to Deputy Permanent Representative for the UK Representation to the EU in Brussels (UKREP).
The job will involve supporting the DPR in her responsibilities as a member of UKREP’s senior management team and as the UK Representative on Coreper I.
The successful applicant will support the DPR in her functions, notably by:
- Managing the DPR’s Office (approx 75% of the job): managing all aspects of DPR diary (including visitors and visit programmes), transport, entertainment, information flows and retrieval, dealing with written and telephone enquiries, commissioning briefing for meetings, document creation, budget management, communicating on the DPRs behalf;
- Coreper Support: working closely with the Mertens Group Representative to commission and co-ordinate briefing for the bi-weekly Coreper meetings; preparing briefing packs and ensure all necessary information is available to the DPR and Mertens Group Rep. to perform effectively in Coreper; Liaison with Council Secretariat for Coreper I events;
- Liaison with Cabinet Office, Foreign Office and other Government Departments: co-ordinating teleconferences and update meetings in Brussels and London;
- Undertaking Specific Projects (approximately 5% of the job): research and information gathering, supporting DPR (and UKRep QUAD management team where appropriate) in delivering personal and corporate leadership initiatives;
- Developing networks: particularly with the Executive Assistant network that supports key senior officials in London, the Commission, and other member state delegations who represent the DPRs key contacts;
- Understanding the DPRs needs: including how she works, what her priorities are, and who her key contacts are, so that the job holder can operate with increasing autonomy and authority;
- Flexibility: On occasion the post holder may be asked to work outside conditioned hours.
Required Experience & Skills
The successful candidate will be someone:
- Who has a high standard of efficiency, self-motivation and resilience which is necessary to perform effectively in this post where deadlines for action are frequently short and pressures on colleagues are high;
- Who can put themselves in the shoes of the DPR and anticipate her needs, take the initiative accordingly, and represent the DPR with authority internally and externally;
- Who has a willingness to be part of a team and help out when necessary.
- Excellent organisational and office management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills – including the ability to be firm with colleagues whilst retaining respect;
- Team working skills and willingness to “muck in”;
- Good IT (Microsoft Office and Outlook) skills (NB No dictation or typing);
- Straightforward drafting skills;
- Ability to think ahead, think strategically and act on own initiative;
- Discretion and good judgement;
- Fluent written and spoken English;
- Practical spoken French (or the prospect of achieving this quickly);
- Enthusiastic about personal development and keeping oneself up-to-date with new opportunities to develop;
- Demonstrated ability in the following competences:
- Making Effective Decisions;
- Managing a Quality Service;
- Delivering at Pace;
- Demonstrating Resilience.
- Previous experience of successful office management;
- Experience of co-ordinating and managing projects;
- Experience of dealing with senior management;
- Experience of budget management;
- Basic knowledge of FCO systems and corporate operations.
Terms and Conditions
This is a part-time fixed term contract for 12 months, 18.5 hours net per week, and the working pattern will be Wednesday afternoons, Thursdays and Fridays.
This vacancy is a job share and will start from 1 of September 2015.
The successful candidate will be subject to a professional background check, as well as security clearance.
The monthly salary for this position is €1,143.05 gross, A2(L) level. Furthermore this post attracts an additional allowance of €127.85 gross per month. The UK Missions in Belgium salaries are not subject to annual indexation.
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Belgium. The British Embassy does not sponsor work permits. All applicants should submit their CV (in English, up to 3 pages), Covering Letter (in English, no more than 1 page of A4, Arial11) setting out their motivation for the role and how they meet the above criteria.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and the email subject line must be formatted as follows: BEL245.
The closing date for applications is the 16 th June 2015.
Kindly note that your application will only be considered if:
- Your application has been sent within the time frame requested;
- Your application documents are fully in English;
- Your applications documents are in .pdf format.
Please note that, because of the volume of applications we receive, we will only contact candidates selected for interview. If you do not hear from us you should assume that your application has not been successful.
Please be advised that the Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.