UNI Europa seeks Policy Adviser
UNI Europa, the European services workers’ union, is recruiting a
to the Regional Secretary, the head of the organisation.
The principle task of the Policy Adviser is to advise and support the Regional Secretary directly in terms of the political dimension of the Regional Secretary’s day-to-day work. This includes work on general cross-sectoral policies, research and communication with affiliates. In addition, his/her task will also include covering UNI Europa’s interprofessional group “Professionals and Managers” (approx. 25% of working time).
Our organisation represents 270 trade unions with 7 million members throughout Europe in sectors such as Commerce, Finance, ICT, Post, Property Services, Graphical and Media. We promote and advocate workers and trade union interests towards EU institutions and multinational companies.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Policy Adviser reports directly to the Regional Secretary and works under his direct supervision.
- Supporting the Regional Secretary in his work. This concerns foremost:
Structuring and organising the content preparation and follow-up of the Regional Secretary’s day-to-day activities in line with priorities in a proactive, timely and anticipating fashion;
Contributing to consistency and the substantive preparation and follow-up itself.
In detail, this is in regard to:
- Political and policy coordination of the work of the Secretariat generally and in particular of UNI Europa’s involvement in the ETUC;
Statutory meetings, esp. UNI Europa Management Committee and Executive Committee (including coordination of minutes and policy documents);
Meetings and engagements of the Regional Secretary (incl: preparation: assessment of papers, speeches, getting input from others – follow-up: dissemination, organising further action);
Monitoring correspondence of the Regional Secretary;
Supporting the Communications Officer in his/her work regarding communications needs of the Regional Secretary;
Establishing and maintaining relations with external stakeholders, participating in external thematically relevant meetings, etc., of relevance for UNI Europa.
- Managing the operational and policy activities of UNI Europa’s “Professional and Managers” (P&M) and other specifically assigned fields of work on a permanent or ad hoc basis. This includes:
- Contributing proactively to the definition and implementation of relevant policies, strategies, action and projects as well as providing policy advice;
Representing UNI Europa within internal bodies as well as vis-à-vis affiliates and external actors (including the EU institutions); this includes organising and leading meetings, advocating UNI Europa positions, and negotiating;
Promoting the visibility of UNI Europa, in particular by communicating on activities effectively to affiliates and other relevant parties, including via the UNI Europa website and social media.
- At least 3 years of experience in policy work in an organisation/institution comparable to UNI Europa with an emphasis on EU affairs and/or trade unions. A background as an active trade unionist is an advantage;
- A strong personal commitment to the ideals and mission of UNI Europa.
- Honesty, integrity and trust;
- A good understanding of trade union work and clear insights in the mission and political agenda of UNI Europa;
- Good inter-personal, partnership and team work skills, in particular the ability to motivate colleagues and work in a team;
- Ability to work strategically, take initiatives and react flexibly to new challenges on specific dossiers – often under pressure;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, identify priorities and meet deadlines;
- Ability to analyse information and assemble it in a concise manner with decision options (both written and oral form) as well as communicating it upwards and downwards within the organisation in a timely and honest fashion;
- Excellent written and spoken English and one other language (of at least C1);
- Ability to travel regularly.
Dependent on seniority and work experience. The salaries for the relevant job category are between € 3,903 and € 5,468 per months (with 14 salaries being paid);
Additional benefits include complementary hospital insurance and group pension insurance.
The successful candidate will be based in Brussels/Belgium.
Candidates should send their application form which can be downloaded here to: email@example.com with the subject heading “Vacancy – Policy Adviser to the Regional Secretary”.
The aim is to hold interviews in late September 2016.