United Kingdom Joint Delegation to NATO seeks a Defence and Security Policy Attaché (m/f)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
The United Kingdom’s Joint Delegation to NATO is the vital link between the UK Government and the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation. Its principal roles are to promote British interests in NATO and to keep UK Ministers and Government Departments informed about NATO discussions and is now is now looking for a
Defence and Security Policy Attaché (m/f)
for the UK Delegation to NATO in Brussels (UKDEL).
This is a challenging opportunity to deliver UK defence and security policy objectives, as part of the busy 7-strong UKDEL Defence Policy and Planning Team.
Working in collaboration with 27 other Allies and NATO’s International and Military Staffs, you will help implement the decisions of the NATO Warsaw Summit, representing the UK in committee discussions with Allies, and focussing particularly on NATO’s defence planning process. You will advise and take instructions from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and the Ministry of Defence (MOD) on the UK strategy for international defence cooperation, actively seeking opportunities to promote UK interests.
- Focus on multinational defence planning, including in the NATO Defence Policy and Planning Committee, and assisting the UK Ministry of Defence and other UK stakeholders in driving forward UK objectives in this area;
- Inform and influence UK policy in NATO, in particular the UK strategy to become “international by design”;
- Lead officer on NATO/EU defence capability co-operation;
- Leading policy development for NATO partner nation defence planning/reform, working closely with the UKDEL Political team;
- Prepare for and represent the UK in working-level discussions of relevant policy issues, negotiating with Allies and partners to help achieve UK objectives;
- Establish and maintain a wide portfolio of contacts with stakeholders in NATO, Allies’ and partners’ delegations, UK Government departments and the UK’s network of embassies;
- Draft timely, accurate reports of committee meetings, sessions of the North Atlantic Council, Ministerial meetings and other events as necessary;
- Provide succinct, targeted advice and briefing to the UK Permanent Representative, Military Representative and other colleagues as required. Contribute to Ministerial and CHODs briefings coordinated by London;
- Be responsible for the management and development of the team support officer.
Essential qualifications and experience:
- Fluent written and spoken English;
- Policy development skills, ideally in a political-military environment;
- Experience of working with a wide network of contacts demonstrating lobbying and influencing skills;
- Ability to grasp complex issues quickly and communicate them simply and effectively, including to senior interlocutors;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team and contribute to its outputs;
- Strong interpersonal and customer focus skills;
- Excellent drafting skills;
- Good organisational skills;
- Adaptability under pressure;
- Commitment to staff development;
- The job holder will occasionally be required to work extended hours during peak periods, including in the run-up to Ministerial meetings and Summits and to travel internationally for short periods.
Desirable qualifications and experience:
- Understanding of written and spoken French;
- Knowledge of NATO and UK Government institutions and procedures;
- Knowledge of wider global strategic and security issues;
- Knowledge of defence capabilities.
- Seeing the Big Picture, Changing and Improving, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline: 16 November 2016
Grade: B3 (L)
Type of Position: Full-time
Working hours per week: 36.25
Starting monthly salary (EUR): 2,736.57 gross (plus an additional allowance of €327,00/month)
Start Date: 1 January 2017
Other benefits and conditions of employment:
- The position will be filled on a “replacement contract” to cover a leave of absence.
- The monthly salary for this position is €2,736.57 gross, at B3 level. Furthermore, this post attracts an additional allowance of €327,00 gross per month and lunch vouchers (The British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium salaries are not subject to annual indexation).
- Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source.
- Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
- The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance.
- Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
- Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
- We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
- Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
- Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Please apply here.