The European Youth Forum AISBL (Youth Forum) is the platform of youth organisations in Europe. We represent over 100 youth organisations, which bring together tens of millions of young people from all over Europe.The Youth Forum works to empower young people to participate actively in society to improve their own lives by representing and advocating their needs and interests and those of their organisations. In the current uncertain political and social context that affects young people, they can be powerful catalysts for positive change and contributors of innovative solutions to Europe’s challenges.
Secretary General (m/w/d)
The Youth Forum is now looking for its new Secretary General. The selected person will hold one of the highest positions in the youth movement. The position is based in Brussels and is vacant from 1 June 2020. The Secretary General will be appointed by the Board in March 2020 and the mandate will be ratified by the Council of Members on 17-18 April 2020 for a three-year mandate, renewable once for a second two-year mandate, upon positive decision of the Board.
In accordance with Article 4.5.3 of the Youth Forum’s statutes, the Secretary General shall supervise and coordinate the work of the Secretariat. The Secretary-General is responsible for the daily functioning of the Forum under guidance and delegation of the Board.
The Secretary General shall:
- Lead the Secretariat – 30 staff members, with a €3.5 million annual budget.
- Be responsible for the daily functioning of the Youth Forum under the guidance and delegation of the Board.
- Plan and manage the organisation’s advocacy work.
- Proven leadership capacity and people management skills;
- Proven organisational, project management and strategic planning skills;
- Experience and good knowledge of youth work issues and work of the EU, CoE and UN;
- Excellent problem-solving management and decision-making skills;
- Excellent organisational communication skills: active listening, empathy and diplomacy;
- Able to manage different priorities and responsibilities;
- Able to articulate and promote the vision of the organisation;
- Demonstrate clarity, concision and confidence;
- Excellent advocacy, negotiation and persuasion skills;
- Excellent oral, written and digital communication skills;
- Able to work with and report to a volunteer-led Board;
- Understanding of cultural differences and ability to work in an international and intercultural environment;
- Fluent in English is essential and working knowledge of French would be an advantage.
- At least 10 years experience.
- Experience in managing a minimum of 20 people.
- Able to work flexible hours and when required on weekends.
- Able and willing to travel.
- Available to start the position in May 2020 (handover), with a mandate starting on 1 June 2020.
What we offer
- An international and dynamic working environment.
- A key position in the youth movement in Europe.
- A contact network among youth leaders in Europe and in the European institutions.
- The possible maximum duration of the mandate for the post is until June 2023.
- The European Youth Forum will support the selected candidate with acquiring a work permit if needed.
Terms of the contract
The duration of the contract is three years. The contract is renewable for a period of two years upon positive decision of the Board.The contract is full time and the gross monthly salary -depending on the years of experience- can range from 4,131 to 5,036 euros (according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement currently applied at the European Youth Forum).A relocation package, hospitalisation insurance and other benefits areavailable.
A CV and a letter of application should be received by the deadline. Please send your CV and letter of application in English by (12 December 2019 23h59 CET), to the contact person of the Recruitment company managing the selection:
Recruitment company: European Affairs Recruitment Specialists (EARS) / Name: Anna Koj / E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!