Young European Federalists seek Secretary General
The Young European Federalists – JEF Europe, is looking for candidates to fill the position of Secretary General.
JEF membership is not a requirement to apply.
JEF Europe is an independent, non-partisan, political youth organisation with 15,000 members in more than 35 European countries. The goal of JEF is the creation of a democratic European federation as a crucial ingredient for peace, a guarantee for a more free, just and democratic society and a first step towards a world federation. More information can be found here.
As appointed officer and legal representative, the Secretary General works full-time for the organisation at the European Secretariat in Brussels and is responsible, under the guidance of the Executive Board, for:
- the daily leadership and management of the JEF Europe Secretariat;
- the organisation of seminars, European projects, training events and other campaign activities;
- Fundraising and grantwriting;
- external representation (European Institutions, NGOs, etc.);
- external communication and support to the member sections;
- the organisation of statutory meetings;
- the organisational support to the Executive Board;
- the financial management of the organisation (together with the Treasurer);
- day-to-day office work, including administration and communication.
S/he will be supported by a team of 2 to 4 people in the Brussels office.
The Secretary General should have
- a thorough understanding of and interest in European politics and affairs;
- extensive experience in NGO work, ideally on a European level and/or in JEF;
- extensive experience in project management in particular European projects;
- experience with institutional fundraising, especially Erasmus+ and other EU grants, as well as diversification of fundraising;
- excellent language skills; fluency in English is a precondition, any other European languages and especially French and/or Dutch is considered a strong asset;
- excellent communication and presentation skills;
- experience with finances and bookkeeping;
- excellent knowledge of MS/OpenOffice and online communications (collaborative tools, social media);
- experience with human resources management and team management as well as leadership skills;
- self-motivation and ability to work independently;
- ability to manage different competing priorities and responsibilities;
- ability to work with, engage with and create synergies with a wide range of stakeholders;
- ability to work with and reporting to a democratic and volunteer-led Board;
- the willingness to undertake frequent travels;
- the sensibility to work in a multilingual and multicultural environment.
The applicant should show flexibility (15+ weekends/year), initiative, personal commitment and motivation on supporting the activities promoted by the organisation. JEF Europe offers an interesting position in an international environment and a high degree of independence in day-to-day work. JEF Europe will issue a working contract under Belgian law, limited for 2 years, including a trial period of 3 months, starting in summer 2018 (exact date to be defined).
Depending on the availability of funding and the availability of the chosen candidate, a first contract might be offered starting in April 2018.
Annual net pay: EUR 26.000 (including benefits)
Deadline for applications: 14 January 2018, 23h59 CET.
The application procedure will consist of 3 rounds.
In the first round the applicant is requested to send his/her CV and motivation letter.
Based upon these two documents, s/he will be requested to add a project and a budget proposal in the second round. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted at this stage.
In the third round the selected candidates will be invited by the Executive Board for an interview taking place in Brussels during a week-end in February 2018.
The invitation to the interview will be communicated by 1 February 2018. The final approval of the successful candidate in the interview stage will be taken by the Federal Committee (FC) of JEF Europe (the SG is appointed by the FC upon recommendation of the Executive Board according to the Statutes of JEF Europe), at its meeting that will take place in Skopje, Macedonia from 23-25 March 2018.
Any questions should be addressed at the current Secretary General.
The applications should include the following (in PDF documents):
1st Round (Deadline 14 January 2018 23:59 CET):
- Curriculum vitae (max 2 pages);
- A motivation letter (max 500 words);
- Optional: references, recommendation letters
2nd Round (ONLY shortlisted candidates will be invited to submit the project proposals until 27 January 2018 23:59 CET. You will be contacted by 20 January 2018 for this round):
- A proposal for a project (max 500 words) that matches with the priorities of JEF
- a budget accompanying the proposed project
3rd Round (Successful candidates will be contacted by 1 February 2018)
An interview with the Executive Board of JEF Europe in the European Secretariat in Brussels late February 2018.