YouTube seeks Public Policy Director
Fast-paced, dynamic and proactive, YouTube Trust and Safety is dedicated to ensuring that YouTube is a place for users, viewers, and creators around the world to belong, create, and express themselves. Whether understanding and solving their online content concerns, navigating within global legal frameworks, or writing and enforcing worldwide policy, the Trust & Safety team is on the frontlines of enhancing the YouTube experience, building internet safety, and protecting free speech in our ever-evolving digital world.
In this role you will coordinate YouTube’s efforts relating to issues arising in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. You will be managing projects across a host of issues, coordinating with the global policy team and key cross-functional partners to execute our policy strategy, developing our external narrative around key policy challenges, and advising product teams through the public policy lens. You will be required to organize, manage, and communicate about critical plans, initiatives, and strategy. You’ll provide project management to support key strategic and operational priorities of YouTube and the policy organization.
You are a proven thought-leader who thrives in a rapidly changing environment. You know how to work cross-functionally across internal and external stakeholders and clients. You’ll help manage a budget and a small team of policy colleagues, and assist in the annual planning and strategy process.
YouTube has grown into a community used by over 1 billion people across the globe to access information, share video, and shape culture. The YouTube team helps budding creators build careers, creates products like YouTube Kids, YouTube Music, and YouTube Gaming, and engages communities around shared passions and global conversations. Together, we empower the world to create, broadcast, and share.
- Develop and lead YouTube’s policy strategy in EMEA in a way that benefits YouTube’s users, our business and the wider web; work cross-functionally to develop policy positions for review by YouTube’s policy, legal, and management teams.
- Manage policy projects on a host of issues including controversial content, media regulation, and cross-industry relations.
- Engage directly with policymakers and key opinion formers to shape public and political dialogue. Monitor and research current and relevant emerging public policy issues.
- Advise product teams on policy implications during the product development and launch process.
- Build a network of trade associations, industry partners, non-profit groups and others to support policies that will help create/maintain a user-focused online environment as well as an open Internet.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Work experience on policy advocacy or in a government position within the European Union.
- Experience with project management.
- Experience within the tech industry and familiarity with Internet technologies, media policy, and the surrounding policy environments.
- Experience in working with international teams and a variety of stakeholders, and in executing strategies to deliver solutions.
- People management experience.
- Ability to exercise judgment in a rapidly changing environment.
- Political and analytical skills; expertise in relevant areas of European Union regulations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.