Government Affairs Officer (m/f/d) Europe
Government Affairs Officer (m/f/d) Europe
Brussels preferred; other locations considered.
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a non-profit global organization focused on driving the change in technologies and policies needed to get to a net zero carbon-emissions, high-energy planet at an affordable cost. CATF is highly respected for its deep expertise and research on energy and industrial systems and potential strategies, technologies, and policies that can radically shrink those systems’ impact on the planet’s atmosphere. Our team of experts and advocates (and global network of subject matter experts and civil society partners) put this research and knowledge into action by designing and enacting public policies that drive toward zero emissions. We also support policies and work directly with private industry to innovate in technology to make the path to zero emissions swift and affordable.
CATF is based in the United States and headquartered in Boston. But it also operates globally through work with partners in Europe, Asia, Canada, Latin America, and in multilateral international forums ranging from the International Maritime Organization to the International Energy Agency to the Climate and Clean Air Coalition to the Responsible Steel Coalition. CATF is currently expanding its presence in Europe and seeks to strengthen its advocacy efforts through this hire. Current areas of focus include advancing zero carbon fuels such as hydrogen and ammonia, and pushing for public policies to rein in methane pollution from the oil and gas sector both in the EU and from oil and gas imported to the EU Additional potential areas could include carbon capture and storage and advanced geothermal energy. Learn more about our efforts here: https://www.catf.us/work/.
As CATF’s government affairs lead in Europe, the Government Affairs Officer will work closely with European communications staff, project leaders and issue experts based in Europe and the United States, and European partner organizations to help develop and execute public policy campaign strategies in support of CATF’s program goals and objectives in the region.
Primary duties and responsibilities of this position:
- Strategy Development – With CATF’s Europe team, provide input on public policy advocacy strategies to support organizational goals and objectives in the region.
- Government relations – Connect, cultivate and enhance personal working relationships with key EU institutions, lawmakers, policymakers and policy influencers in the EU and member states. Track EU and member state climate and energy policy developments and intervention points and link CATF technical and policy experts and consultants with policymakers as needed to support development and implementation of strong climate and energy policies.
- Policy Tracking – Stay informed about relevant policymaking efforts in Brussels and key EU member countries; systematically communicate updates to other CATF staff.
- Messaging – Provide input on CATF external positions for proactive announcements and reactive statements.
- Written Materials – Write and/or edit comment letters, fact sheets, and other material for advocacy meetings. Provide input on press statements, press releases, blogs and other written material for distribution to news media and/or posting on CATF website.
- ENGO Collaboration – Work with coalitions and individual NGO partners on external relations, especially the network of ENGOs across Europe advancing methane pollution standards for the oil and gas sector.
Skills/Experience/Education necessary for the position
- Bachelor’s degree along with at least three years of successful experience in a substantially similar role.
- Background in EU energy and climate policy and connections to EU energy and climate policy makers at the Union level and at the member state level.
- English proficiency, other European language skills a plus.
- Agile and flexible self-starter able to work on multiple competing deadlines and extending outside of usual work hours to accommodate team members in different time zones.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to policymaker inquiries.
- Highly organized self-starter, entrepreneurial spirit essential.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!