Communication and External Affairs Director (m/f/d)
The European Youth Forum in Brussels is looking for a
Communication and External Affairs Director (m/f/d)
Young Europeans make up around 25% of its population. The European Youth Forum is the voice of young people across Europe. We represent over 6000 youth organisations – big and small – via our 108 full members. This network reaches over 40 million young people every year.
We run one of the largest youth-democratic processes on earth to elect our Board, key bodies and to define our positions. We advocate at the highest level for a better deal for young people. We drive youth participation and strive to support our youth organisations.
In the current political and social climate young people are powerful catalysts. We are a key part of solving Europe’s challenges.
The European Youth Forum is looking for a new Communications and External Affairs Director. The Director is part of the senior leadership team and reports to the Secretary General.
The Director will play an integral role in the development of the European Youth Forum. The External Affairs Directors co-supervise and co-manage the work of around 20 colleagues. They are jointly responsible for all external output of the Forum: advocacy, media, communications, campaigns and events.
We have recently restructured and are looking for a communications lead that also has strong horizontal skills, including a working knowledge of the EU/Brussels.
- Co-lead and co-manage the external affairs team of ~20 staff with the other Director;
- Set, monitor and report on a large budget (300k+);
- Lead a series of major communication projects: conference on the future of Europe, Youth Progress Index, European Youth Capital and more;
- Drive traditional media engagement;
- Drive social media and digital engagement;
- React quickly on emerging issues;
- Oversee production of communications materials: videos, posters, presentations and more;
- Deliver and oversee great events;
- Ensure regular coordination and cooperation with the Board;
- Establish and nurture relations with member organisations, decision-makers, alumni and other key stakeholders.
PROFILE OF THE CANDIDATE
Qualification & Experience
The candidate should have most of the following:
- At least 5 years experience in people management;
- At least 8 years experience in external affairs with a heavy focus on communications;
- Understanding of membership-based organisations and experience of working with civil society;
- Extensive professional experience in project management and in managing teams, preferably in a multicultural environment;
- Experience in campaigning/communications for advocacy impact;
- Experience working at international level;
- Sophisticated audience understanding of Brussels stakeholders;
- Understanding and experience of working with volunteers and youth civil society.
The candidate should be able to demonstrate most of the following:
- Ability to inspire, motivate, supervise and guide people;
- Strategic thinking and planning skills;
- Ability to work and communicate with a Board in an effective/diplomatic way;
- Understanding of how to drive consensus in large organisational groups;
- Good understanding of the youth sector (funding, membership, youth work);
- Outstanding communications skills, both speaking and writing (English required, additional languages an asset);
- Critical, flexible and solution oriented;
- Ability to work under pressure, manage a challenging workload and tight deadlines;
- Ability to master new technical and organisational concepts and information;
- Commitment to Youth Forum values (see our website).
TERMS OF THE CONTRACT
The contract is for an open-ended duration and full time (35 hours per week). The gross monthly salary according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement is 4,663 euros.
A relocation package, hospitalisation insurance and other benefits are available. Travel expenses within the Brussels region are covered by the European Youth Forum.
Candidates for this position should be willing to travel and work flexible hours including significant work at weekends/evenings due to our volunteer structure. This position being based in Brussels, candidates should be willing to relocate or live in the surrounding area.
To submit your application for this vacancy, please use the European Youth Forum online recruitment system: http://recruitment.youthforum.org. Closing date is June 11 2021.
How to apply with the online application system?
- Create a user account: click on “Registration” and fill in your personal details;
- Go to the “private area” and login with your username and password;
- Click on the vacancy and apply;
- Respond to our application questions and upload your CV.
Interviews for this vacancy will be held mid-June and the successful candidate will be expected to start in August for a handover.
Due to the high number of applications usually received for European Youth Forum vacancies, only candidates short-listed for interviews will be contacted. All candidates are kindly requested to refrain from any phone inquiries.
All appointments should be made in a transparent way and comply with all relevant employment regulations. No job applicant or employee should receive less favorable treatment on the ground of race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, gender, gender identity, marital status, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, disability or chronic illness.
All applicants, whether EU or non-EU citizens, are considered. The Youth Forum welcomes all nationalities and will look at work permits on a case by case basis.
Any relevant volunteering experience is considered equal to any other professional experience.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!