Policy Officer (m/f/d)
European Public Prosecutor’s Office seeks
Policy Officer (m/f/d)
- Type and duration of contract: Contract Agent, 2 (two) years with possibility of extension
- Function group and grade: FG IV
- Monthly basic salary: € 3 531,26 at grade 13, € 3 995,43 at grade 14, € 5 114,82 at
grade 16 plus, where applicable, various allowances1
- Place of employment: Luxembourg
- Deadline for applications: 30/06/2020 at 23:59 hours (CEST)
European Public Prosecutor’s Office
The European Public Prosecutor’s Office (`the EPPO`) will be an independent European prosecution
service responsible for carrying out criminal investigations and prosecutions into crimes affecting the
Union budget, including fraud, corruption, money laundering and serious cross-border VAT fraud.
The Regulation establishing the EPPO under enhanced cooperation entered into force on 20
EPPO offers challenging and rewarding careers to enthusiastic, motivated and highly skilled people
who want to work within an international environment and contribute to the vision of this new
The Commission is responsible for the establishment and initial administrative operation of the
EPPO, until the Office has the capacity to implement its own budget. Work is on-going to set up the
EPPO in order for it to take up its functions at the end of 2020.
The seat of EPPO is in Luxemburg.
The European Public Prosecutor’s Office (EPPO) is seeking suitable candidates to establish a reserve
list for the position of Policy Officer. The successful candidates would provide support to:
- the College of European Prosecutors and the Permanent Chambers,
- the Operational Department, which includes a Registry and Verification Unit, a Case Analysis
Unit and a Financial Investigation Unit:
- The Registry and Verification Unit analyses each potential case of criminal offence and makes a proposal to the Chief Prosecutor, within a short deadline, whether it falls into the EPPO’s competence and, if so, assign it to a Permanent Chamber. The Unit will register the cases in the “Case management system”;
- The Case Analysis Unit prepares operational and strategic overviews and reports
(typologies, etc.), in order to facilitate the analytical assessment of the received
cases. It draws up frequent statistical analyses by deriving useful data from the
received cases, to identify risks in the procedures for granting/using European funds
for preventive purposes.
- The Financial Investigations Unit conducts the necessary financial investigations
concerning criminal assets’ confiscation and damage recovery. It helps to elaborate
best practices in financial investigations.
- the Administrative Directorate which includes a Human Resources and Budget Unit as well
as a Security and IT Unit.
The successful candidates, under the supervision of their line managers and/or Administrators, will
be responsible, amongst others, for the following duties:
- Drafting and presenting analysis, briefs, reports and correspondence on legal and
operational issues referred for consideration;
- Analysing information and documents relevant for the case files and assisting on assessing
whether, on the basis of the information provided, there are grounds to initiate an
investigation or to exercise the right of evocation;
- Assisting in the registration and verification of cases pursuant to Council Regulation
- Contributing to the drafting of internal rules of procedure and operating rules;
- Contributing to the preparation and negotiation of arrangements with other bodies involved
in the protection of the financial interest at an EU level;
- Providing support in the management of specific projects;
- Providing legal and operational support on administrative issues;
- Providing expertise and possible support in the preparation, opening and evaluation of
procurement procedures, contracts, etc.;
- Performing any other related tasks in the interest of the service.
To be considered eligible, candidates must satisfy all the following eligibility criteria by the closing
date for submitting applications:
- He/she has a level of education, which corresponds to completed university studies attested
by a diploma when the normal period of university education is three years or more3,
In addition, the candidate must fulfil the following conditions, by the deadline for applications:
- He/she is a national of one of the Member States of the Union and enjoys his/her full rights
- He/she has fulfilled any obligations imposed by the laws concerning military service;
- He/she produces the appropriate character references as to his/her suitability for the
performance of his/her duties;
- He/she is physically fit to perform his/her duties; and
- He/she produces evidence of a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the
Union and of a satisfactory knowledge of another official language of the Union to the extent
necessary for the performance of his/her duties.
Applications will be assessed based on the information provided by the candidates in the Application Form against the following criteria:
- University degree in law or in business administration or in another field relevant to perform
the duties mentioned above;
- At least 3 (three) years of professional experience with duties relevant to the job description
- Professional experience in drafting reports, rules and/or legal opinions;
- Professional experience in management and/or coordination of specific projects;
- Excellent knowledge of English, both written and spoken, at least at level C1.
English, been the vehicular language of the EPPO, will be tested during the interviews.
In addition, very good command of the MS Office Applications is considered essential, and might be tested during the interviews.
- Knowledge of criminal law either by studies or by professional experience;
- Professional experience in investigation;
- Professional experience in extracting and analysing information from various databases
related to investigation activities;
- Knowledge of a third official language of the EU, at least at level B2
(in addition to English and the mother tongue);
- Knowledge of an additional official language of the EU, at least at level B2.
- Analytical thinking;
- Ability to summarize effectively complicated documents in a short deadline;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- High sense of responsibility, discretion and confidentiality;
- Excellent organisational and planning skills;
- Resilience to stress, ability to perform multiple tasks under tight deadlines in a rapidly
evolving work environment;
- A pro-active, highly flexible and dynamic working attitude;
- Ability to work independently as well as a part of a team in a multi-cultural environment.
The candidate/job holder must either be a holder of a valid security clearance up to the level of
“SECRET UE/EU SECRET” or be willing to undergo the national security vetting procedure (in order to be allowed to perform her/his job).
Candidates are required to check carefully before submitting an application whether they meet all
the eligibility criteria, particularly concerning the required types of diplomas and professional
experience as well as their linguistic capacity.
In order to facilitate the process, candidates are invited to apply in English.
For applications to be valid, candidates shall:
- Use and duly complete the EPPO Application Form, which can be found on the DG JUST
- Send their application (preferably in pdf format), only by email to email@example.com by the deadline;
- The subject of the e-mail should include the reference of this vacancy, followed by the
- The Application Form must be saved as follows: SURNAME_Name_Reference number.
Incomplete applications or applications sent without using the EPPO Application Form will be
disqualified and treated as non-eligible.
Candidates who use the same application to apply for more than one position will also be
Please, make sure that your Application Form is readable, as no further communication will take
Part-time work will be taken into account in proportion to the percentage of full-time hours worked;
therefore, candidates are requested to indicate the percentage of part-time employment.
PhDs may be counted as professional experience if the candidates received a study grant or salary
during the time of PhD studies. The maximum duration counted for PhD is three years provided that
the PhD has been successfully concluded by the closing date for applications of the selection
Supporting documents (e.g. certified copies of degrees/diplomas, references, proof of experience,
etc.) should not be sent at this stage but must be submitted at a later stage of the procedure.
Due to the high number of applications received in each selection procedure, only shortlisted
candidates will be contacted.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!