Senior Associate, EU Green Deal Diplomacy (m/f/d)
The European Climate Foundation seeks
Senior Associate, EU Green Deal Diplomacy (m/f/d)
About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 350 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
Context of the role
The ECF is expanding its work on EU Green Deal diplomacy with a wide range of partners in civil society, think tanks, politics, business and governments. The European Green Deal has the potential to be a key driver for global climate action, especially in the run-up to COP26 where the EU is expected to play a major role.
We work to build political will for more ambitious action on climate change at the European and global level – through bilateral cooperation (i.e. with the US, China, Africa and other allies) and through cooperation on decarbonisation pathways (sectoral or via trade policy). The Senior Associate works in a bridging role, leveraging the potential of the EU Green Deal at the international level and playing global progress on climate action back into Europe.
This job offers an excellent opportunity to engage with and support an emerging ECF priority at an important stage in global climate diplomacy – in the wake of the US election and recent announcements of long-term targets by China, South Korea and Japan.
The post holder will play a key role in providing strategic advice, dealing with grant management, and monitoring and evaluating the progress of different work streams. There will be direct engagement with policymakers in the EU institutions, other ECF programmes including the International Climate Politics Hub as well as partners and funders in designing and aligning strategies.
The Senior Associate will be responsible for:
- Strategy development: supporting setting up the strategy on Green Deal diplomacy, related priorities and budgets; co-developing and implementing strategies with our network of grantees and partners; monitoring and evaluating progress and impact of initiatives and grants; and acting as a liaison to report regular progress to donors;
- Grant-making: developing the scope of work in line with the strategy; soliciting and validating proposals from potential partners; drafting recommendations for the consideration of the ECF board and our donors;
- Research activities & prospecting: supporting the Director in scoping the landscape around bilateral engagement of the EU, thematic cooperation and EU’s impact in the world, or cross- cutting projects with other teams in the organisation, as well as identifying potential new projects and grantees;
- Project management: contributing to ECF’s overall strategy on Green Deal diplomacy, ensuring synergies and alignment across different strands of work;
- Internal coordination and communication: liaising with ECF’s other programme teams, platforms and communications teams to ensure proper and timely dissemination of information, and consistency and complementarity of different projects and work streams;
- Networking: building partnerships with key individuals across the policymaking, business and civil society communities or movements in Brussels and across the EU.
Experience and competencies
The following attributes are sought by applicants:
- Genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation;
- 5-8 years’ experience, preferably in or working closely with the EU or international organizations (including permanent representation and embassies);
- Excellent knowledge of the EU’s role at the international level and deep understanding of climate diplomacy as well as the political challenges to making progress with deeper emission reductions;
- Structured, driven and able to manage many processes simultaneously;
- Proven track record of working in an environment that demands professionalism, discretion and confidentiality;
- An independent self-starter able to work on his/her own as well as part of a team;
- Enthusiastic personality, with a positive, can-do attitude;
- Strong network and networking skills that enable effective collaboration with a diverse group of partners;
- Agile leader, with the ability to follow through with smart and adaptive implementation of plans;
- Excellent collaboration and influencing skills;
- Very strong verbal, written and presentational skills in English, other EU languages are an asset.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time permanent contract.
Brussels or Berlin.
As soon as possible.
How to apply
Please upload you CV and cover letter (both in English) at https://cezanneondemand.intervieweb.it/europeanclimate/jobs/senior_associate_eu_green_deal_diplo macy_11600/en/.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!