Policy and Advocacy Officer (m/f/d) – Development Finance
The European Network on Debt and Development (Eurodad) seeks
Policy and Advocacy Officer (m/f/d) – Development Finance
The European Network on Debt and Development (Eurodad) is a network of 49 civil society organisations (CSOs) in 20 European countries, advocating for democratically- controlled, gender-just and human rights-based financial and economic systems. With an excellent track-record in achieving change, Eurodad is a progressive and open-minded employer, mindful of the well-being of its employees.
For more information about Eurodad and our most recent work, visit our website: www.eurodad.org and subscribe to our Development Finance Watch newsletter for further information.
The successful candidate will play a major role in Eurodad’s exciting work to make development finance policies contribute to sustainable development objectives. This means leading and contributing to Eurodad’s cutting-edge thinking on Development Finance, with a focus on development finance flows to the private sector in developing countries and the role of Development Finance Institutions.
The role involves research, monitoring and analysing policy developments, advocacy and network coordination. The Policy and Advocacy Officer will produce reports, briefings and position papers in cooperation with our members and partners, advocacy work and develop and lead effective engagement in policy arenas to advocate for change.
The candidate will combine a strong vision of development finance policy with strong policy analysis skills allied to a good understanding of how CSO coalitions can create transformative change. They will have excellent interpersonal communication skills and be self-motivated with the ability to plan and act on their own initiative. They will have experience of working with advocacy-focussed civil society groups or similar organisations with a development perspective. They will need to speak and write English to a very high standard.
Eurodad colleagues, Eurodad members and other civil society organisations in Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America, academics and think tanks, officials in organisations such as the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, the European Commission, the OECD and the United Nations.
Contract & location
Brussels-based, permanent contract. Gross annual salary range between €52k – 60.3k (incl. holiday pay, end of year bonus and vouchers), depending on skills and experience. Attractive benefits package including additional days leave, complementary Hospitalisation, Ambulatory and Dental insurance (DKV), meal, eco, gift and culture-vouchers, working from home allowance, travel insurance and contribution to a private pension plan.
RESEARCH, POLICY MONITORING AND ANALYSIS
- Contribute to and lead on Eurodad’s positioning on development finance policies in support of the private sector in developing countries and, Development Finance Institutions
- Design and conduct research and policy analysis on relevant development finance issues (both quantitative and qualitative).
- Produce briefings, articles, updates and summaries based on research on current development finance processes, policies and practices.
- Coordinate joint report writing with allied organisations, including developing joint methodologies, streamlining of contributions, editing and identifying joint conclusions and recommendations.
- Keep up to date with key issues, including monitoring relevant official and civil society activities in policy areas identified as network priorities.
ADVOCACY AND NETWORK COORDINATION
- Input into Eurodad’s advocacy strategies in key areas, in order to make sure we support and create effective campaigns for change.
- Support the organisation of and participate in advocacy meetings, including with politicians, officials and parliamentarians and present Eurodad work at conferences and seminars.
- Help organise, facilitate and attend meetings, conferences, teleconferences and other processes with Eurodad members and allies to agree common strategies and initiatives.
- Maintain regular communication with network members, partners from the global south and other key stakeholders and develop interest in development finance issues among Eurodad member groups.
- Support training for capacity and knowledge building amongst membership and respond to questions from Eurodad member groups and others on key issues.
- Help improve the reach and impact of Eurodad publications, website and other communications products, including designing dissemination strategies for targeted audiences, organising public events.
ADMINISTRATION AND SUPPORT TO OTHER MEMBERS OF THE TEAM
- Support fundraising activities, including by drafting relevant sections of reports and proposal
- SupporttheteamandEurodadcolleaguesasnecessary,includingoccasionallytakingon tasks and responsibilities outside this job description to meet team or organisational needs.
- Contribute, as part of Eurodad’s team, to building team spirit by supporting colleagues and assisting with the day to day running of the office.
Role related experience, skills and knowledge
- A clear understanding of development finance policies to eradicate poverty and contribute to human rights, and the ability to communicate this in a convincing and inspiring manner
- Politically astute, including an ability to analyse policy developments, develop strategic advocacy positions that promote transformative change, and implement them using a variety of civil society tactics.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tactful but effective facilitation to agree objectives.
- Strong planning and organisational skills, particularly the ability to contribute to advocacy and campaign strategies, and ability to prioritise, use own initiative and work independently.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- At least 5 years relevant work experience, including:
- Working on policy and advocacy in a civil society organisation, particularly as part of an advocacy or campaigning coalition or network.
- Research and analysis, writing briefings or reports on international development or related issues.
- Making complex topics accessible and relevant to key audiences, including writing succinct and well-structured summaries, articles, and briefings.
- Educated to at least degree level in political sciences, economics, development studies or related subjects.
- Understanding of development finance policy issues and political debates.
- Understanding of the workings of the International Financial Institutions, United Nations, Development Finance Institutions, European Union, and other relevant multilateral institutions.
- A very high standard of written and spoken English.
- Computer literate and familiar with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Working in a developing country and/or working with organisations from the global south
- Knowledge of Eurodad’s cross-cutting priorities: Gender, global economic governance and climate justice, which are integrated across all our work areas.
- Fluency in other European languages, in particular French or Spanish is considered a plus.
COMMITMENT TO EURODAD’S OBJECTIVES AND WILLINGNESS TO TRAVEL
Eurodad is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. All employment decisions are made entirely on merit. We strongly encourage persons with disabilities to apply.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!