Head of Unit – Finance (m/f/d)
EFSA – European Food Safety Authority is seeking a
Head of Unit – Finance (m/f/d)
(Temporary Agent, Grade AD9)
Please send us your application by no later than 1 March 2021 at midnight (local time), following the instructions in the ANNEX.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced manager who is comfortable leading innovative and qualified Finance, Procurement and Accounting teams, and who will actively support EFSA in implementing its strategic plan by providing strong partnering and best-in-class services in the field.
The Finance Unit provides the following services to EFSA internal and external stakeholders:
- Financial services;
- Financial verification;
- Procurements & grants;
- Contract Management;
- Accounting services.
The Unit is comprised of 30 staff members, complemented by a team of outsourced personnel. The Head of Unit reports to the Head of the Business Services Department.
Your key responsibilities
- Provide strategic and operational advice to the Head of Department in the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies, practices and procedures in Finance matters in line with EFSA’s overall strategy and objectives;
- Steer the delivery of comprehensive financial and procurement services – Ensure clear coordination, communication and implementation of the Unit roadmap in line with EFSA’s strategy, providing people with vision, direction and leadership;
- Review working practices to ensure optimisation of resources and deliver continuous improvement/innovation to increase effectiveness and quality of the services provided by the Unit, also by proactively proposing Unit/transversal solutions to the Head of Department;
- Optimise the procurement, grant and agreement instruments available;
- Lead and implement effective sourcing strategies in cooperation with the operational departments to build up partnerships with national and EU bodies and make expertise, knowledge and services available to EFSA;
- Further develop sourcing cooperation and joint initiatives with sister agencies and Member States and further develop the Finance Unit as centre of excellence;
- Coach, supervise and guide the Unit staff, ensure cross-unit cooperation and coordination to further position the Finance Unit as a strategic business partner of the organisation;
- Act as Authorising Officer for the delegated budget lines: ensures optimum deployment of the Unit’s resources and sound financial planning and management by defining budget needs, preparing forecasts and monitoring budget execution in the respective areas in consultation with Team Leaders;
- Represent EFSA with external parties when needed and represent the Head of Department at meetings, as assigned.
You will play an active role in an organisation that makes a difference to the lives of 445 million EU citizens.
EFSA employs around 500 staff members, and its Scientific Committee and Panels engage highly qualified and independent scientific experts. Every position within EFSA plays an important part in creating an inspirational environment in which to work and develop.
EFSA’s standards and values are driven by ethics and integrity and all staff is expected to act in a manner consistent with its principles, including fairness, transparency and impartiality in work practices and conduct towards other people.
As an EFSA staff member, you will have the chance to make a difference to European food safety working in an international and dynamic environment. You will also be able to participate in several valuable networking opportunities across Europe.
Furthermore, you will be joining EFSA at an exciting time as we are preparing for the implementation of the Transparency Regulation: EFSA will expand its mandate and grow considerably over the next few years.
To find out more about EFSA, visit us at www.efsa.europa.eu.
WHAT CAN WE OFFER YOU?
Life in Parma
Parma is a lively city of around 200.000 inhabitants located in the Italian region of Emilia-Romagna and ranked as one of the most liveable cities in Italy. Its centre is rich in art, with architecture from different periods and plenty of parks. Parma is famous for its food, surrounding picturesque countryside and medieval castles. It is strategically located between major cities like Milano and Bologna and within reachable distance from ski resorts, seaside and mountains.
Salary and benefits
EFSA can offer the selected candidate a contract of 5 years with the possibility of renewal.
The successful candidate will be recruited as Temporary Agent Grade AD9 with the basic salary starting from € 8.002 monthly, subject to an annual review of remuneration provided for in Article 65(1) of the Staff Regulations.
In addition to the basic salary, EFSA offers a range of benefits:
- Various allowances to which the successful jobholder may be entitled, such as a household allowance, expatriation allowance (16% of basic salary), dependent child allowance and education allowance. The salary is subject to a Community tax deducted at source and staff members are exempt from national taxation;
- Wide range of leaves (e.g. annual leave, parental leave, public holidays) and flexible working hours. Besides working in EFSA’s modern headquarter located in the heart of Parma, staff members are also offered the possibility to telework up to 50% of working time;
- A comprehensive welfare package including pension scheme, medical, accident and occupational disease insurance coverage, unemployment and invalidity allowance, and travel insurance.
The purpose of this call is to establish a talent pool (reserve list) that may be used for the recruitment of staff when a position becomes available and will be valid until 31/12/2022. The validity of the talent pool may be extended.
WHAT ARE THE SELECTION REQUIREMENTS?
You must satisfy the following requirements on the closing date for submission of your application:
I. Eligibility criteria
1. General requirements
- Be national of a Member State of the European Union, Iceland or Norway;
- Enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by laws concerning military service;
- Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post;
- Have a thorough knowledge of one of the EU official languages and a satisfactory knowledge of another EU language;
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved.
a) A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least four (4) years attested by a diploma in one of the following fields: economics, business administration, finance, legal or any related discipline;
b) A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three (3) years attested by a diploma in one of the following fields: economics, business administration, finance, legal or any related discipline, and in addition at least one (1) year of professional experience.
In addition to the above, at least twelve (12) years of proven professional experience acquired after having obtained the qualifications mentioned in point 2 in positions corresponding to the nature of duties of the vacant post. Out of these twelve (12) years, at least six (6) years must have been gained in management functions (Head of Unit, Head of Sector, Team Leader or equivalent).
In case you do not fulfil all the eligibility criteria, your application will not be taken into consideration.
II. Selection criteria
1. Technical competencies and knowledges
The following competencies will be assessed throughout the different phases of the selection procedure. Candidates are also expected to demonstrate effective communication in both spoken and written English as well as strong motivation for the position.
- Proven experience in aligning subject of expertise with business strategy: analyse future developments in business process and field of expertise, determine requirements for processes related to field of expertise, contribute to the development of the business strategy, analyse feasibility in terms of costs and benefits, understand the impact of new developments in field of expertise on business;
- Proven experience in applying and ensuring risk management: identify potential risks, develop risk management plan to identify required, preventative actions;
- At least 6 years of proven experience in leading objectives, plans and operations: abide by business ethical code of conducts, analyse teams’ objectives and processes, build business relationships, develop business plans, negotiate with stakeholders, plan medium to long term objectives, track key performance indicators;
- Proven experience in managing finances: plan, monitor and evaluate the budget of the Unit/Team, identify and review potential risk areas in procurement and contract management, prepare and communicate management information;
- At least 6 years of proven and recent experience in managing and mentoring employees and team: address professional development needs of staff to meet organisational requirements, evaluate performance of employees, provide performance feedback, gather feedback from employees, manage employee complaints, coach employees, identify competence and skill gaps and learning needs, identify, recommend and incorporate work based development opportunities, identifies development paths for team members;
- Knowledge of Financial regulations, EU regulations, Budget Management;
- Knowledge of Project management.
2. Behavioural competencies
- Deal with ambiguity: Able to work constructively within unexpected and unpredictable situations and show resilience and composure, even in difficult or adverse circumstances; able to decide and act without having the total picture; accept constructive feedback in a positive manner;
- Demonstrate political savvy and strategic agility: Look beyond the current situation and visualise what the future can bring with a keen sense for arising opportunities and good understanding of how and when to best pursue them; able to think in a creative and innovative way;
- Focus on stakeholder needs: Committed to meet the expectations and requirements of internal and external stakeholders; establish and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders and gain their trust and respect;
- Plan and measure for results: Set ambitious goals that exceed the targets and create plans to achieve them; ensure an efficient and responsible planning and management of resources;
- Work with others: Work confidently within a group and contribute to achieve the common goals, understanding own role and how it supports the team and the organisation; able to cooperate, listen actively, manage conflicts and motivate colleagues;
- Lead and develop a team: Lead, supervise and develop a group of people, in order to meet the expected results within a given timeline and considering the foreseen resources.
Candidates are invited to read the ANNEX that represents an integral part of this vacancy and provides information on how to complete the application, the steps of the selection process and appeal procedures.
This vacancy is published as well internally at the grade bracket AD9 – AD14.
 Before appointment, a successful candidate shall be medically examined by an institution’s medical officer in order that the European Food Safety Authority may be satisfied that he/she fulfils the requirement of article 28(e) of the Staff Regulations of the Officials of the European Communities.
 Any academic qualification mentioned in the application form shall be duly supported by evidence (original or certified copies of e.g. diplomas, certification, etc.) Only qualifications issued by EU Member State authorities and qualifications recognised as equivalent by the relevant EU Member State authorities will be accepted. In instances where diplomas are obtained from a non-EU Member State, EFSA may request the candidate to provide a relevant document of comparability issued by a recognised authority.
 Any professional experience mentioned in the application form shall be duly supported by evidence (original or certified copies of e.g. contracts, payslips etc.). Professional experience shall be taken into account from the date on which the person fulfils the minimum qualifications for engagement. In order for your professional experience to be taken into consideration, it must be supported by relevant documents attesting an actual work relationship defined by the following elements: real, genuine work; on a paid basis; as employee (any type of contract), or provider of a service. Any given period may be counted only once (in order to be calculated as eligible, years of studies or professional experience to be taken into account shall not overlap with other periods of studies or professional experience). Professional activities pursued part-time will be calculated pro-rata on the basis of the certified percentage of full-time hours worked. Remunerated PhDs acquired in a field relevant to the job description can be counted as professional experience up to 3 years. Paid traineeships are counted as working experience. Prior to contract signature, the successful candidate(s) will need to provide original versions of documents proving the candidate’s work experience.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!