Political Adviser (m/f/d)
Eurogroup for Animals is looking for a
Political Adviser (m/f/d)
Full-time position, based in Brussels, initially 6 months contract, immediate start.
Eurogroup for Animals is the Brussels based European umbrella advocacy organisation, representing 70 national and international members across Europe and beyond. Together we provide a voice for the billions of animals kept in laboratories, farms and homes or living in the wild. Our vision is to build a Europe that truly cares for animals where the well-being of animals is assured and where they experience a good life.
The purpose of Eurogroup for Animals is to drive positive change for animals by convening its members around common goals, and coordinating EU wide action to jointly influence EU law and policy making. Our advocacy work consists of dedicated programmes and a growing portfolio of projects and campaigns.
Purpose of the role
Given the significant challenges in terms of climate and biodiversity, the European Commission is increasingly rethinking its agricultural and food policies. The EU Green Deal and Farm-to-Fork strategy are clear exponents of this new trend. At the same time we are witnessing a surge of food innovation at corporate level and a clear change of consumer preferences.
Eurogroup for Animals’ farm animal programme aims at transformative food system change by significantly reducing animal protein production and consumption. We do this by enhancing the uptake of plant-based diets and cultivated meat in tandem with driving systemic change in animal farming.
We are looking for an experienced Political Adviser to support our team in delivering on exciting projects related to our Food Policy strategy. Under the guidance of our Political Adviser Food Policy and Political Affairs Manager, you will work on key files such as -but not limited to- the new Sustainable Food Framework Law. Initially this post is foreseen for 6 months with possible extension.
- Conduct research, explore regulatory avenues and draft lobby strategies and policy documents;
- Work with institutional stakeholders in the European Commission, European Parliament and the Council and build alliances around our advocacy objectives;
- Involve and engage Eurogroup for Animals’ community of members on food policy;
- Provide the organisation, its members and institutional stakeholders with scientific advice and tailored policy solutions, whilst engineering and exploiting innovative opportunities to further our goals wherever possible;
- Ensure close working relationships with the farmed animals team and the political and engagement team;
- Other tasks.
- Background in food policy, agricultural science, agricultural economy, sustainable animal agriculture or similar;
- In-depth knowledge of EU policy-making and influencing processes, ideally in the area of food or agricultural policy;
- Service-oriented towards members and other stakeholders;
- Well-organised and focused on concrete results and campaign deliverables;
- Analytical skills;
- Strategic and forward thinking;
- Flexible and pragmatic;
- Computer literate;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Strong written English;
- Demonstrable advocacy skills and knowledge;
- Good ability to work as a team member and independently;
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Positive, approachable and adaptable;
- Compassionate and respectful to people and animals.
Position in the organisation
The Political Adviser reports to the Political Affairs Manager and the Political Adviser Food Policy who is in charge of the Food Policy advocacy portfolio. She/he works very closely with our political advisers and liaises with other colleagues responsible for areas such as membership engagement and finance as well as the senior management team.
38 hours per week, 6 months employment contract under Belgian law or on a consultancy basis.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to this post along with your CV in English by email to Louise Hilditch email@example.com. Please include your salary expectations in your cover email and not in your motivation letter or CV.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!