Programs Director, Europe (m/f/d)
Laudato Si’ Movement is looking for a
Programs Director, Europe (m/f/d)
About Laudato Si’ Movement
Laudato Si’ Movement (LSM) is an international network of Catholic grassroots leaders and 800+ member organizations, all working together to advance climate and ecological justice. We are led by the Holy Spirit, and we find joy and support in our faith and each other. We act at the forefront of faith-based efforts to protect the environment, and our work is very fast-paced, with multiple projects and priorities managed daily. We enjoy a collaborative working environment in which everyone is committed to tackling the climate and ecological crises with courage and love. We believe as Pope Francis said in Laudato Si’, that “truly, much can be done!”
About the position
The Europe Programs Director defines and delivers movement engagement and campaign strategies for LSM in Europe. Collaborating with and supporting staff and LSM members throughout the region, the incumbent will provide vision, outstanding project management, line management, and movement building expertise to help strengthen and expand LSM’s highly successful campaign work. This staff member will manage, coach, and support Europe staff (currently 7 Program Leaders/Managers) to enable them to inspire and mobilize the Catholic community to care for our common home and achieve climate and ecological justice. They will also lead and manage relationships and collaborations with Europe-wide Catholic, faith-based and secular partners. This person will report to the Director of Network Engagement, and will liaise with other programmatic teams as needed.
Areas of Responsibility
Strategic thinking and planning:
- Define and implement a plan for Europe, including the development of movement support infrastructure, to engage LSM members to act towards the organization’s goals around ecological conversion, sustainability, and advocacy.
- Provide line management and strategic support to regional and in-country team members across Europe. Ensure that goals are clear, hold regular check-ins, and give/receive feedback. Support the definition and delivery of campaign, program, and movement building strategies to ensure greatest possible impact towards LSM’s mission;
- Support project leads as managers of their own staff teams, demonstrating management best practices, contributing ideas and resolving concerns, and ensuring that all teams are well managed;
- Work within a matrix management framework to guide and be guided by LSM team members in other departments such as Communications, Advocacy, and Operations. Partner with colleagues to prioritize requests to and from the Europe team and manage expectations and workloads;
- Recruit and onboard staff and volunteers for Europe as required.
- Drive movement building work and climate and ecological justice campaigning across Europe;
- Oversee core grassroots organizing programs, implemented by Europe staff, to engage LSM’s membership in Europe, including Laudato Si’ Animators (LSA), Circles, Chapters, Laudato Si’ Generation (LSGen) and Catholic sustainability programs;
- Support Europe staff to enable large participation of LSM’s membership in key moments such as the upcoming Laudato Si’ Movie campaign, Laudato Si Week, Season of Creation, LSAP, and more;
- Engage, collaborate with, and support LSM member organizations in Europe, in close coordination with the Europe team;
- Ensure high level leadership skills trainings are developed and delivered in Europe to engage LSM’s most committed members;
- Support Europe team to utilize online tools (social media, website, online platforms) to engage a base of supporters and parish leaders in Europe.
- Manage donor relations for Europe, including preparing proposals, reports and briefings as needed;
- Cultivate and nourish partnerships with key Catholic leaders, Catholic stakeholders, climate – faith organizations, in close collaboration with the Europe team;
- Support the Europe team to implement outreach strategies to engage Catholic communities across the region;
- Represent LSM in public venues and advocacy spaces at Europe level, including the European Laudato Si Alliance;
- Provide advocacy capacity support to national teams where required.
- Understand LSM’s history, campaigns, and theory of change, and keep current with basic climate science, Church context, and climate policy and news in Europe;
- Contribute work towards LSM’s overall mission that is outside standard responsibilities and instead relies solely on geographic location or work capacity. Support other LSM major initiatives that might arise on a case-by-case basis;
- Based on the gifts of the candidate who is hired, there may be some additional flexibility in the responsibilities of this position, potentially beyond Europe.
- Demonstrate at least 5 to 7 years experience in the areas of responsibility in non-profit organizations, preferably faith-based and/or environmental;
- Demonstrate at least 3 to 5 years experience in staff management;
- Familiarity working with Catholic institutions and Church structures;
- Demonstrate familiarity with ecological issues at both the level of impact and the level of policy, including the nature of the fossil fuel industry;
- Excellent writing and verbal skills in English;
- Demonstrate a sustained history of working on advocacy campaigns;
- Comfortable working in a prayerful faith-based environment.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following attributes:
- Leads by example: Endorses and embodies LSM values and the Laudato Si’ paradigm in behavior and words. Is grounded in faith and committed to spiritual transformation;
- Strategic and Innovative: Is a creative and strategic thinker, naturally ambitious, who exercises courage, imagination and confidence to think outside of the box and push boundaries. Integrates learning and ongoing innovations in his/her area to improve impact and reach;
- Productive: A highly motivated self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced work environment and to produce high-quality documents and materials with a strong attention to detail;
- Project management: Is able to structure and lead complex projects and ensure that a quality end product is delivered on or ahead of schedule. Familiar with Microsoft Office suite, Google Apps Suite, the basics of digital organizing, and able to learn new applications and programs quickly;
- Effective problem solving: Identifies challenges, effectively structures a problem-solving approach, analyzes data to produce insights, and generates wise, actionable recommendations;
- Leads oneself: Shows considerable self-awareness and is inherently curious about how he/she adds value to the organization. Fosters a growth mindset that is open to change;
- Compelling and authoritative: Is inspiring, articulate, and persuasive, to compellingly present complex ideas to Catholic individuals and institutions and a wider audience, both as a public speaker and writer. A highly skilled relationship builder;
- Knowledge of the Catholic Church structure: An understanding of the Catholic Church structure in Europe and existing contacts with different Catholic institutions and individuals (preferred);
- Culturally sensitive: Is aware of differing cultural practices and can sensitively and authentically engage in a wide variety of relationships. Able to work seamlessly across borders and time zones.
- English, and preferably at least one other language that LSM works in (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, or Polish).
Location: Candidates throughout Europe are welcome to apply.
Type: Full-time position
Work from your home office (unless the candidate is based out of Rome, in which case they would work from the Rome LSM office). This is envisaged as a full-time role. However, we are open to discussing flexible working options to take individual circumstances into account where needed.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary consummate with experience;
- Flexible working including home based;
- Generous holiday entitlement with additional holidays around Easter and Christmas.
To apply, please send the following documents
- Cover letter (one page);
- Salary Expectation.
Deadline: Rolling until hired.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!