Sustainability Policy Manager (m/f/d)
Euro COOP seeks
Sustainability Policy Manager (m/f/d)
Euro Coop is the voice of the co-operative retailers in Europe, uniting the national associations of consumer co-operatives in 19 European countries, 14 of which in the EU and 5 non-EU. Together, they represent 7,000 local communities, employ 750,000 citizens, operate 94,000 points of sale and serve 30 million consumer-members daily. With a cumulative annual turnover of € 70 billion, our members rank as Europe’s second strongest retail force and the Continent’s largest business network.
Euro Coop’s Secretariat is based in Brussels and represents the interests of its members before the European Institutions and facilitates the inter-member exchange between the national structures.
More information is available at www.eurocoop.coop
Euro Coop is now looking for a Sustainability Policy Manager.
The position requires the following responsibilities/duties:
- Represent consumer co-operatives within the EU policy process with regard to the sustainability issues which have a direct impact on their business, e.g. food waste/loss, EU Strategy for Plastics and Packaging Biodiversity Strategy, climate change, resource efficiency policies, agriculture policy (organic, pesticides), sustainable sourcing (including human rights issues), social and environmental labelling, GMOs, chemicals, etc.;
- Manage weekly e-mail policy updates to the Sustainability Policy Task Force;
- Organise the work of the Sustainability Policy Task Force;
- Co-ordinate the drafting and publishing of briefing papers, policy documents, newsletters and other written communications about Euro Coop’s position on sustainability;
- Participate in conferences, roundtables and any other public event and present Euro Coop’s position on sustainability;
- Follow-up on any request from Euro Coop members in the sustainability domain;
- Inform and disseminate relevant information on sustainability to Euro Coop members;
- Liaise with likeminded EU-level association to bring forward the sustainability policy agenda at EU level;
- Prepare responses to EU consultations;
- Assist the team with shared tasks, such as organising external events and other (in case of need).
Education & Work Experience:
- Master’s degree in an environment-related discipline with a focus on sustainability topics;
- Ideally, between 5 and 7 years demonstrable professional experience in relevant policy development, or in advocacy to secure policy objectives;
- Minimum 3 years acquired professional experience working in EU-level member-based organisations would be considered an asset.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrate a track record in research and policy development;
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding the EU Institutions and the policy framework relating to sustainability and ethical issues;
- Have an understanding of the co-operative model;
- Ability to work independently, self-organise oneself and the operational tasks according to the strategic objectives set by the Association’s governance bodies and the Secretary-General;
- Understanding the national members’ businesses and operations and relating these to the development of appropriate opportunities for raising their profile within the EU policy process;
- Ability and credibility to work alongside management and build strong relationships with external stakeholders including EU officials, business organisations and NGOs;
- Excellent communication skills; ability to convey complex issues to a range of audiences;
- Be fluent in English both written and oral; knowledge of other EU languages an asset;
- Have an excellent computer literacy of the Windows Office Package;
- Be a team player; assist with rest of the colleagues in shared tasks, in case of need.
- Available to travel when appropriate;
- Home office according to Belgian guidelines for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The person will be employed under the Belgian law as soon as possible. Remuneration package to be discussed. The salary itself shall depend on previous experience and qualifications.
Further benefits include meal vouchers, mobile subscription, partial coverage of public transport subscription.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your CV and cover letter to the e-mail address: email@example.com by 4 March 2021 with the specification “Sustainability Policy Manager” in the subject line.
Interviews will take place online and (if conditions permit) in Brussels within March.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!